1) Monday - Friday 8:30am - 11:30am
2) Monday - Friday 8:15am - 11:45am
Responsible for implementing the Park District’s curriculum in an age-appropriate manner within the preschool program for children ages two to five years of age. Preschool Teacher reports to the Early Childhood Program Manager and Early Childhood Program Coordinator.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of Park District policies and procedures and see that they adhere to at all times.
- Provides a safe, nurturing and positive experience for all students.
- Prepare and implement daily nature curriculum.
- Uses a range of teaching approaches and adapts instruction to include all children.
- Uses effective, age appropriate classroom management that promotes positive relationships and creates predictability.
- Creates a safe and thoughtfully arranged classroom that facilitates classroom management. Changes content material and updates bulletin boards and art displays to facilitate curriculum. Maintains a clean and orderly classroom and storage space.
- Prepare materials for class projects and activities ahead of time. Submits monthly supplies requests.
- Conducts scheduled assessments and parent – teacher conferences.
- Create positive relationships with parents and communicates effectively with them. Creates bi-weekly blogs and conducts daily, end of class parent talks.
- Work in conjunction with the Early Childhood Program Manager and the Early Childhood Coordinator in making referrals and developing plans for children with special needs.
- Work cooperatively with fellow teachers to support and obtain the goals and objectives of the program.
- Attend curriculum meetings, staff meetings, teacher institutes and obtain 15-hours of in-service trainings.
- Substitute as needed.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Distribute written communication as necessary or requested by the organization.
- Observe and follow all Park District safety policies and regulations, and report any hazardous situations. Record and keep incident/accident reports with a copy to the Program Manager.
- Attend various district-wide and departmental staff trainings as they pertain to policies and procedures, safety or other subjects as appropriate.
- Implement Park District Customer service standards.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must possess an understanding of child development.
- Ability to be aware of the needs and concerns of children and their parents and respond appropriately.
- Ability to accept responsibilities and work in an independent and organized manner.
- Ability to be flexible and interact cooperatively with fellow staff members.
- Display leadership, dependability, patience and concern for others.
- Excellent communication skills - professional ability to attend to the needs of our customers. Ability to address complaints and resolve concerns as needed.
Education and Experience:
- B.S., B.A. or A.A. degree in Early Childhood or Elementary Education or related field preferred.
- Five years of early childhood or child care experience required.
- Must have an understanding of child development and have at least 6 hours of early childhood development course work.
- Maintain and/or obtain current certification in CPR and First Aid within 3 months of hire.
- Requires flexibility of work schedule during high volume work periods.
- Work is subject to inside/outside environmental conditions
- Requires regular lifting of light - medium - heavy objects weighing up to 40 pounds.