Memorial Day - Labor Day: Approximately 40 hours per week. Schedule varies weekly.
Under the general supervision of the Head Lifeguard, the Full Facility Lifeguard position is responsible for the day-to-day safety of all swimming patrons.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure public safety by monitoring all water depths of Centennial Beach and the surrounding Riverwalk areas within the direct vicinity of Centennial Beach.
- Prevent accidents by managing guests, enforcing rules, scanning swimmers for distress and directing weak swimmers to remain in shallow water.
- Provide rescue and emergency first aid care when needed.
- Anticipate and recognize aquatic emergencies.
- Perform general maintenance and janitorial duties in order to maintain a safe, clean and friendly environment for guests, co-workers and the general public.
- Participate in pre-season training and pass all required testing and certifications. Training hours worked will be paid at the training wage.
- Attend all required in-service training sessions. In-service training hours will be paid at the training wage.
- Work collaboratively with lifeguards and other Centennial Beach staff in providing a safe, clean facility, and exceptional customer service.
- Maintain and properly care for all safety equipment and supplies.
- Exercise mature judgment in administering rule enforcement for those who violate Beach safety rules.
- Refer to Head Guard and Beach Manager in cases of disciplinary actions for patrons.
- Maintain a proactive approach to safety and risk management. Assist with the annual loss control review process, aquatic audits and required health department inspections.
- Participate in safety beach dives before opening and after facility is closed each day.
- Demonstrate and support park district customer service standards.
- Follow district and departmental safety, personnel, and administrative policies, procedures and ordinances.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instruct swim lessons.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills (i.e., professional ability to attend to customer needs and communicate with coworkers).
- Ability to address complaints and resolve concerns as needed.
- Ability to complete all deep water training and skills.
- Mental and physical ability to respond quickly to any emergency.
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- Exhibit a keen awareness of surroundings.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
Education and Experience:
- Ellis Lifeguarding certification required.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, CPR, AED and First Aid certification within four (4) weeks of date of hire
- SCUBA certified preferred
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Subject to outside environmental conditions.
- Occasionally lift, carry and/or move object(s) weighing ≤ 30 lbs. Lifting assistance is required when lifting ≥30 lbs.
- Ability to pass the vigorous pre-season training.
- Demonstrate 20/30 vision or the ability to achieve 20/30 vision through the use of corrective lenses.