$22.00 - $25.00/hr
Available classes are Monday - Saturday morning and afternoon/evening
Youth dance classes for 18 months plus parent up to 8 years of age.
The Dance Instructor is a part time position responsible for providing instruction of dance classes at levels beginning through advanced while providing high quality training to all age groups. This position is under the direct supervision of the Dance Coordinator.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Set annual goals for students.
- Plan and instruct dance classes at progressive levels.
- Provide recommendations for curriculum enhancement to Dance Academy Coordinator and Program Manager.
- Prepare choreography and select music for recital pieces and/or story production if applicable to be approved by Dance Academy Coordinator and Program Manager.
- Provide a fun, encouraging and disciplined atmosphere.
- Select costumes for recital, work within a budget and determine sizes for each student. Hand out costumes to students and communicate with the Dance Coordinator regarding costume sizing issues, students not receiving costumes and parent inquiries regarding costumes.
- Provide support at dress rehearsals and recital performances.
- Communicate and distribute course information to students and parents.
- Attend instructor meetings.
- Communicate requested information to Dance Academy Coordinator in a timely manner.
- Evaluate student performance with recommendations for progression in the dance program.
- Track student attendance including late arrival and early departure to address any concerns. Inform Dance Coordinator of continual student absences and non-registered students.
- Communicate any concerns, including student behavior/attendance, to Dance Coordinator and Program Manager in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate and support Dance Academy policies.
- Demonstrate and support Park District customer service standards.
- Follow district and departmental safety, personnel, and administrative policies, procedures and ordinances including the prompt reporting of participant and staff accidents
- Maintain cleanliness of dance studio and contact the Dance Coordinator in a timely manner when supplies are running low.
- Assist with dance studio set-up and functionality; such as, setting up/taking down chairs, organizing and moving dance equipment, and correcting studio clocks.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Expert knowledge of dance.
- Ability to instruct dance to students of all ages.
- Demonstrate attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Demonstrate initiative, flexibility and creativity.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills (i.e., professional ability to attend to customer needs).
- Ability to address complaints and resolve concerns as needed.
- Demonstrate leadership, dependability, patience and concern for others.
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere (i.e., ability to communicate well with other instructors).
Education and Experience:
- Five years of extensive dance training required.
- Professional performing experience preferred.
- Subject to modified/flexible work schedule during high volume work periods.
- Subject to inside environmental conditions.
- Ability to occasionally lift light weight (20 lbs.) objects.