Monday - Friday, 7:00am - 3:00pm
Under the general supervision of the Trades Specialist I or II and Trades Operations Supervisor the Summer Seasonal Trades Assistant position performs construction and maintenance of park district physical assets.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Install engineered wood fiber on park playground surfaces.
- Participate in set-up and take-down of special events.
- Gather information necessary for the preparation of reports, proposals and records upon request.
- Perform cleaning and maintenance of shop and office spaces, restrooms, and grounds areas.
- Serve on the team that installs and paints park district signs.
- Assist Specialists with repairs of all aspects of the park buildings and facilities (i.e., work in carpentry, minor plumbing, minor electrical, masonry, painting)
- Assist in ordering and inventorying equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrate and support park district customer service standards.
- Follow district and departmental safety, personnel, and administrative policies, procedures and ordinances.
- Perform miscellaneous job related duties as assigned.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate a variety of equipment and motor vehicles (i.e., pick-up trucks, small tractors)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to understand and learn a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and manual tasks including but not limited to painting and general laborer work.
- Ability to understand and learn methods, practices, use and operation of equipment and tools used in general maintenance and construction.
- Ability to understand and learn minor maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere to promote positive working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to understand operator's manuals.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings.
Education and Experience:
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Some experience in general maintenance or construction preferred.
- Valid driver's license.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Subject to outside environmental conditions.
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals.
- Ability to lift medium weight (50 lbs.) objects.
- Exposure to dust, fumes, dirt, noise, and insect bites.
- Physical agility to maintain mobility from site to site.
- Ability to perform prolonged lifting, stooping, bending, twisting and climbing for extended periods of time.
- Exposure to heights.
- Subject to respirator use. Employee will be required to pass a Quantitative Fit Test.
- Subject to modified/flexible work schedule, including weekends if required.