$25.00/hr + DOQ
40+ hours per week. Mon-Fri, weekends and holidays required during season.
Under supervision of the Director of Golf, the Golf Course Specialist performs the daily maintenance of all aspects of the golf facilities, supervises the activities of the part time maintenance staff, and assists the Director in the daily operation of the course.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate golf course set up and support (e.g. changing green hole, tee marker and flags as needed).
- Collaborate with the Director in planning, scheduling, and supervising the maintenance of the golf course.
- Supervise and participate in the operation and maintenance of the golf course irrigation and drainage systems.
- Apply pesticides for control of weeds, insects, and fungal disease problems as needed.
- Inspect golf facilities and property for safety and cleanliness. Evaluate, determine and prioritize necessary repairs and maintenance.
- Clean and organize work and storage areas.
- Operate and maintain equipment.
- Perform administrative duties including inventory, budget, and daily record-keeping.
- Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with residents, customers, vendors, community partners and co-workers.
- Follow and model compliance with all District, State, Federal and departmental safety and risk management, personnel, administrative policies and procedures, ordinances and regulations.
- Maintain a proactive approach to safety and risk management. Report all accidents, incidents and unsafe conditions in a timely manner.
- Comply with District Financial Policies. Communicate budgetary requests to supervisor.
- Supervises temporary staff assisting with equipment maintenance by training, communicating job expectations and coaching
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under supervision of the Vehicle and Equipment Technician, perform minor maintenance and repair of golf equipment and carts.
- May assist in the general maintenance and/or repairs to golf course equipment under direction of Vehicle and Equipment Technician, as assigned by the Director of Golf Grounds.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of generally accepted maintenance practices for golf course playing surfaces; the planting, cultivation, pruning, and general care of a variety of plant materials; the characteristics and proper use of various fertilizers, plant protectants, soil conditioners, herbicides and other pest control methods and materials; drainage control methods; irrigation systems, including wells, pumps, and automated controls.
- Ability to schedule and supervise maintenance activities to achieve the most efficient and effective utilization of labor and equipment; prepare reports; and to maintain effective employee and public relations.
- General understanding of the game of golf and how it relates to the set up and playability of the course.
- Ability to operate tractors, trucks, mowing equipment, etc.
- Ability to communicate with non-English speaking staff.
- Ability to apply knowledge of maintenance and repair of golf equipment.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- One year experience in turf and/or green industry related field.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Possess or have ability to obtain current State of Illinois pesticide operator or applicators license within six (6) months of hire.
- Must attend A.L.I.C.E. training within 4 months of hire and have the ability to understand the concepts presented in the program as they apply to the responsibilities of the position.
- Subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions.
- Ability to move from site to site.
- Exposure to pesticides, chemicals, dust, exhaust fumes, dirt, noise, and insect bites and loud noises.
- Ability to manipulate and operate power operated equipment/machines.
- Subject to modified, flexible and extended work schedules.
- Ability to list heavy (>50 lbs.) objects.
- Subject to prolonged lifting, stooping, bending, standing and twisting, for extended periods of time.
- Face to face interactions with internal and external customers and co-workers are essential for this position. This position may not work remotely.