Schedule varies - 40 hours per week; weekends and evenings as needed
Position start date:
Interviews to begin December 2022 and January 2023
Under the direct supervision o fa Recreation Program Manager, the Recreation intern is twelve (12) to fourteen (14) week position responsible for assisting Program Managers in planning, organizing, and supervising programs, activities and events. Major duties include, but are not limited to, assisting with the supervision and management of programs, events, facilities, staff, administrative duties, and customer service functions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist with the development, planning, organization, and management of assigned programs, facilities, and special events subject to the needs and interests of the community, and in support of the District’s mission, vision and core values.
- Evaluate programs, facilities, and special events, and formulate recommendations to improve services.
- Establish, support, and maintain collaborative efforts with internal and external customers and organizations.
- Participate in budget control by tracking and monitoring financial activities; prioritizing activities within general work plan.
- Inspect, inventory, and initiate requests for repairs on program and facility equipment and supplies.
- Prepare, maintain, and submit reports regarding programs, equipment, facilities, and customer trends.
- Ensure compliance with program outcomes and develop specific goals and objectives related to improvement of programs and special events.
- Assist in the design and development of marketing materials and distribute appropriately.
- Work with Program Managers to gain experience in the following program areas: Active Seniors, Aquatics, Arts, Environmental, Fitness & Wellness, Special Events, Athletics, Summer Camp, General Recreation Programming, Facility Rentals and Food and Beverage Operations.
- Work with multiple departments within the park district to gain experience in overall organization operations.
- Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with residents, customers, vendors, community partners and co-workers.
- Communicate effectively with customers and staff regarding safety, questions and concerns.
- Demonstrate and support park district customer service standards.
- Follow district and departmental safety, personnel, and administrative policies, procedures and ordinances.
- Maintain a proactive approach to safety and risk management. Participate in the creation, implementation and evaluation of sound risk management policies and procedures. Report all accidents and incidents in a timely manner. Conduct timely accident investigations, complete accurate and timely accident and incident reports. Work collaboratively with the HR Department on claims.
- Assist with the development of annual program, facility, and event budgets and year-end projections. Comply with District financial policies.
- Assist with the completion of performance appraisals for part-time staff.
- Schedule staff to ensure an adequate level of coverage for assigned program areas.
- Assist with the completion of independent contractor agreements, and uphold terms of the agreements with contractual vendors.
- Ensure confidential use of customer information, including credit card transactions and household accounts.
- Responsible for the planning, implementation and evaluation of multiple special events including but not limited to Family Campout, Kid’s Night Out and Tour De Naperville
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to internal and external customer comments and inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Work closely with the District’s Volunteer Manager to develop, plan, organize and implement program initiatives through the use of volunteers.
- Record and communicate any difficult situations to Program Manager immediately.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the theories, practices, and philosophy of community recreational programming.
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of recreational programs and equipment.
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service and leadership skills.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills (i.e., professional ability to attend to customer needs).
- Demonstrate good judgment, initiative, flexibility and creativity.
- Capacity to multitask.
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills.
- General knowledge of Windows-based software.
- Ability to work independently in day-to-day operations with general supervision from supervisor.
Education and Experience:
- Educational experience in Recreation and Park Administration, Leisure Studies, Sports Management or related field is required.
- Must be a senior in college pursing a degree in Recreation Management, Leisure Studies, Sports Management or a related field.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, CPR & First Aid certification within six (6) weeks of date of hire.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Subject to modified/flexible work schedule, including weekend and evening hours.
- Subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions.
- Frequent manipulation of assigned office equipment.
- Continuous exposure to computer screens.
- Sustained posture in a seated or standing position for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to occasionally lift, carry and move medium weight (30lbs.) objects and use a team lift or lifting equipment for heavier objects
- Ability to move from site to site.
- Occasional exposure to loud noise.
- Manual dexterity to manipulate recreation program equipment.
- Internship must be required by the University for graduation.