$15.00 - $18.00/hr + DOQ
Monday - Friday, 6:30am - 2:30pm flexible schedules
Under the daily guidance of a Park Specialist I or II, the Park Maintenance III position is responsible for performing all tasks necessary to maintain our parks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Execute horticulture maintenance activities (i.e., annual flower/bulb plantings and weeding, perennial bed maintenance and watering).
- Execute turf maintenance (i.e., renovation, repair, re-establishment, irrigation).
- Execute forestry/silviculture maintenance (i.e., controlled prairie and woodland burns, invasive removal and native tree pruning) as directed.
- Execute maintenance of ball fields and athletic courts as directed.
- Perform trail maintenance (i.e., clean up and debris removal, mulching) as directed.
- Perform litter pickup, garbage pickup, recycling activities, and park and playground inspections as directed.
- Perform cleaning and maintenance of park shelters, restrooms, and assigned buildings.
- Perform power and trim mowing in assigned parks.
- Execute recreation programming support (i.e., set up and maintains ice rinks and sled hills, deliver garbage cans).
- Perform snow and ice removal operations through the operation of snow removal equipment on sidewalks, road, and parking lots.
- Demonstrate and support Park District customer service standards.
- Follow district and department safety, personnel, and administrative policies, procedures and ordinances.
- Perform miscellaneous job related duties as assigned.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform preventative maintenance on assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Assist with the set up and take down of special events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must have the ability to train and supervise others.
- Must be proficient in the safe use and operations of all types of park maintenance/landscape maintenance equipment from chainsaws to backhoes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the methods and practices used in horticulture and forestry operations.
- Skilled at equipment maintenance and repair.
- Proficient at cleaning and custodial methods.
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere to promote positive working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Ability to complete daily time sheets.
- Ability to Speak, read, and writes English preferred.
- Ability to work independently in the day to day operations with only general direction.
- Valid ‘D’ license and good driving record required.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have five years minimum experience in the park maintenance/landscape maintenance field.
- Must have the ability to lead a crew, must possess the ability to obtain an Illinois Pesticide Operators license within six (6) months.
- Experience in operations of the ‘normal’ landscape equipment (i.e., sod cutter, tiller, edger, and blower).
- Must possess the ability to operate a tractor, backhoe, and become certified in operations of a fork lift.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions.
- Ability to move from site to site.
- Ability to lift, carry and move heavy weight (>50 lbs.) objects.
- Exposure to pesticides, exhaust fumes, chemicals, dust, dirt, insect bites and loud noises.
- Weekend schedule required.
- Occasional manipulation of assigned office equipment.
- Prolonged lifting, stooping, bending, twisting, and climbing for extended periods of time.
- Sustained posture in a standing position for prolonged periods of time.
- Subject to confined space entry.
- Subject to respirator use. Employee will be required to pass a Quantitative Fit Test.
- Manual dexterity and strength to operate power-operated equipment/machines.
- Face to face interactions with internal and external customers and co-workers are essential for this position. This position may not work remotely.