The Naperville Park District is looking for a qualified candidate to join our park maintenance department as a Park Specialist I. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced professional in the area of horticulture, general landscape maintenance and custodial duties to utilize their skills in a team environment to make a positive impact on the community.
Benefits: Health insurance, vacation, personal, pension, and sick days. Recreation program discounts.
Schedule: Monday-Friday 7:00am - 3:00pm,
Salary: $20.00/hr + DOQ
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform a wide variety of park maintenance tasks including but not limited to; trail maintenance, horticultural care of landscape beds and custodial duties on a daily basis.
- May be asked to act as a crew leader to assigned staff and volunteers by orienting and training.
- Clean and maintain parks through litter pickup, garbage removal, recycling activities, and conduct scheduled inspections to district amenities as assigned.
- May be asked to participate in park maintenance operations such as controlled prairie and woodland burns, hardscape and pond maintenance.
- Support special event set up, tear down and maintenance during the event.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the methods and of forestry, turf, and horticulture development and maintenance.
- Demonstrate abilities to apply fertilizers and pesticides at manufacturer’s application rates.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree (preferred) in agronomy, horticulture, turf management, forestry or related field.
- This position is subject to a post offer physical.