Monday – Friday 7:00am – 3:00pm, schedule may shift to include weekend work seasonally as required.
The ideal candidate for this position will have experience in diagnosing, servicing, repairing, installing, and maintaining HVAC/R systems as well as demonstrated experience in other facility maintenance as identified in the full job description.
Under the general supervision of the Superintendent of Trades and Trades & Custodial Manager, the Trades Specialist performs construction and maintenance of Park District capital assets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspect, maintain, and repair all aspects of park district capital assets and infrastructure including, but not limited to, buildings, aquatic facilities/splash pads, playgrounds, shelters, asphalt/concrete pavement, fences, bridges and dams.
- Execute work orders related to carpentry/woodworking, roofing, masonry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC (furnace, boiler, A/C, building automation systems) and painting.
- Coordinate with service contractors for the inspection and maintenance of backflow prevention devices, security/fire alarms, fire suppression systems, and elevators.
- Work with pool/splash pad filtration and pump systems, adjust chemicals as needed.
- Install and maintain Park District key and lock system, doors, gates and related hardware.
- Fabricate, install, and maintain park district signage.
- Accept, update, and close work orders in work order system software.
- Order and conduct inventory of equipment and supplies.
- Perform diagnostic work including review, interpretation and application information in operator's manuals.
- Hire and oversee performance of contractors.
- Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with residents, customers, vendors, community partners and co-workers.
- Follow and model compliance with all Federal, State, District and departmental safety and risk management, personnel, administrative policies and procedures, ordinances and regulations.
- Maintain a proactive approach to safety and risk management. Report all accidents, incidents and unsafe conditions in a timely manner.
- Comply with District financial policies. Communicate budgetary requests to supervisor.
- Gather information necessary for the preparation of reports, proposals and records.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate a variety of equipment and motor vehicles (i.e., dump trucks, pick-up trucks, end loaders, bucket trucks and backhoes).
- Perform snow and ice removal operations through the use of snow removal equipment on sidewalks, roads, parking lots, and roofs of Park District facilities.
- Assist in training, preparing work schedules, and delegating work to part time employees in their performance of duties.
- Perform set up, support and take down for special events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge and skills of the methods, practices, use, minor repair of and operation of equipment and tools used in general maintenance and construction.
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical and technical drawings & specifications.
- Working knowledge and skill in performing a variety of skilled trades-related tasks including HVAC, building automation systems, pump systems, roofing/building envelope, electrical systems, plumbing, rough/finish carpentry, plumbing/irrigation systems, and welding.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work schedule.
- Ability to perform a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and manual tasks.
of plumbing and drainage systems, excavation, electric, and pump systems.
- Knowledge of CMMS, Word and Excel spreadsheet applications required.
Education and Experience:
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Additional technical and trades training.
- Five (5) years experience in general maintenance or construction, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid (Class C) driver's license or ability to obtain within three (3) months of hire.
- Certified Playground Safety Inspectors license may be required.
- Certified Pool Operator license may be required.
- Must attend A.L.I.C.E. training within 4 months of hire and have the ability to understand the concepts presented in the program as they apply to the responsibilities of the position.
- Effective March 1, 2022: Trade Specialists will be required to obtain and maintain CPO (Certified Pool Operator) and CPSI (Certified Playground Safety Inspector) certifications within 12 months of hire. The exact deadline will be provided at the time of hire and will be based on class availability and testing schedules.
- May be sent to not previously mentioned training or required to obtain certification, as needed.
- Subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions.
- Ability to move from site to site.
- Ability to occasionally lift, carry and move heavy (>50 lbs.) objects.
- Exposure to pesticides, chemicals, dust, exhaust fumes, dirt, loud noises, and insect bites.
- Prolonged lifting, stooping, standing, bending, twisting and climbing for extended periods of time.
- Exposed to heights.
- Subject to confined space entry.
- Subject to respirator use. Employee will be required to pass a Quantitative Fit Test.
- Occasional manipulation of assigned office equipment.
- Manual dexterity and strength to operate power-operated equipment/machines.
- Schedule may change based on District requirements.
- Face to face interactions with internal and external customers and co-workers are essential for this position. This position may not work remotely.