$14.00/hr + DOQ
Monday - Friday, 7:00am - 3:00pm flexible schedules
The Park Maintenance II position is responsible for performing all tasks necessary to maintain our parks. This position is under the daily guidance of a Park Specialist I or II.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the general supervision of a full time employee and/or Park Maintenance IV, perform horticulture maintenance activities (i.e., annual flower/bulb plantings and weeding, perennial bed maintenance and watering).
- Under the general supervision of a full time employee and/or Park Maintenance IV, perform forestry/silviculture maintenance (i.e., controlled prairie and woodland burns, and pruning).
- Under the general supervision of a full time employee and/or Park Maintenance IV, perform maintenance of ball fields and athletic courts.
- Under the general supervision of a full time employee and/or Park Maintenance IV, perform trail maintenance (i.e., clean up and debris removal, mulching).
- Under the general supervision of a full time employee and/or Park Maintenance IV, perform litter pickup, garbage pickup, and recycling activities.
- Under the general supervision of a full time employee and/or Park Maintenance IV, perform cleaning and maintenance of park shelters, restrooms, and assigned buildings.
- Under the general supervision of a full time employee and/or Park Maintenance IV, perform power and trim mowing in assigned parks.
- Demonstrate and support Park District customer service standards.
- Follow district and department safety, personnel, and administrative policies, procedures and ordinances.
- Perform miscellaneous job related duties as assigned.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform preventative maintenance on assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Assist with the set up and take down of special events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be proficient in the safe use and operations of all types of park maintenance/landscape maintenance equipment from chainsaws to backhoes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the methods and practices used in horticulture and forestry operations.
- Skilled at equipment maintenance and repair.
- Proficient at cleaning and custodial methods.
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere to promote positive working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Ability to complete daily time sheets.
- Ability to Speak, read, and writes English preferred.
- Ability to work independently in the day to day operations with only general direction.
- Valid ‘D’ license and good driving record required.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience in the park maintenance/landscape maintenance field preferred.
- Experience in operations of the ‘normal’ landscape equipment (i.e., sod cutter, tiller, edger, and blower).
- Must possess the ability to operate assigned equipment.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions.
- Ability to move from site to site.
- Ability to lift, carry and move heavy weight (>50 lbs.) objects.
- Exposure to pesticides, exhaust fumes, chemicals, dust, dirt, insect bites and loud noises.
- Weekend schedule required.
- Occasional manipulation of assigned office equipment.
- Prolonged lifting, stooping, bending, twisting, and climbing for extended periods of time.
- Sustained posture in a standing position for prolonged periods of time.
- Subject to confined space entry.
- Subject to respirator use. Employee will be required to pass a Quantitative Fit Test.
- Manual dexterity and strength to operate power-operated equipment/machines.